Make Your Home Safer With These 5 Tips
Your home is your castle, and you want to keep it a safe and comfortable haven for yourself and your family whenever you’re there. There are thousands of accidents that occur in the home every day and many of these could be prevented with more attentiveness and taking a few small steps toward home safety. A greater awareness of the safety of your home keeps your most valuable assets, your family members, safe from harm.
Here are five tips to improve your home safety for the security and well-being of you and your family:
- Install smoke alarms and test them regularly to make sure they work properly. Alarms can also come with carbon dioxide alarms (and are required in some states), so add this beneficial feature to your home, as well.
- Create and practice a “fire drill” with your family so they know what to do and how to evacuate the house quickly in the event of a fire or other safety hazard.
- Trip-and-fall accidents are the leading cause of in-home injuries, so do a thorough walk-through of your house, identify potential trip hazards, and have them removed or repaired.
- Ensure that medications and chemicals are stored where your children cannot access them.
- Examine the habits you use while in the kitchen and make changes where necessary. Turn pot handles away from the front of the stove, don’t leave hot dishes and beverages on tablecloths where they can be pulled down, and always stay in the room when the stove or oven is on.
Some of these tips may be things you haven’t considered, but implementing them will give you an added sense of peace of mind. Another way to provide for the security of your home and family is to invest in home insurance.
Contact Schumacher Insurance Group today for added protection for your home!