5 Great Tips for Preventing Winter Damage to Your Clare Home
Your home is your castle, and with winter coming before you know it, one thing you’ll definitely want to do is take steps to prevent winter weather damage to your residence. Here are a few great tips for preventing or minimizing the damage that cold weather can do to your property:
- Trim the trees in your yard, especially those closest to the house. When it snows, the accumulated weight can cause branches to break and fall onto your roof, car, or into your windows.
- Make sure your water pipes are insulated to prevent freezing. When water freezes, it can also crack the pipes, which can be a costly repair for homeowners.
- Check your doors and windows to make sure they are all insulated and sealed properly. This will prevent your home’s heat from escaping and help save money on your utility bills.
- Don’t let snow build up on your roof, because it can melt and re-freeze several times, which will damage the roof and can cause leaks into your attic or overhead crawlspaces.
- Have your chimney cleaned thoroughly before starting a roaring fire in the fireplace, and consider installing a spark arrester to prevent cinders from igniting leaves, branches, or parts of your house.
Take care of your most important asset this winter with these tips for preventing weather damage. Another great tip is to have your homeowner’s policy reviewed to see if there are ways you can save money on your premiums or add options to give you better coverage. Contact our professional staff here at Schumacher Insurance Group and let us work with you to find a home insurance policy that fits your needs at a price you can live with.