5 Holiday Home Safety Tips
While the holidays are normally a festive and enjoyable time of year, they can also come with accidents around the home that could have been avoided.
Many holiday tips and ideas deal with decorating, where to go around town, and what to do to make the holidays more enjoyable, while few offer advice and guidance on making sure your family enjoys the most wonderful time of the year safely.
Here are a few holiday tips and ideas to help your holiday stay merry and bright:
- When using extension cords, do not connect them to each other. If necessary, purchase a longer cord to avoid potential fires.
- Always turn off (and unplug) your holiday lights if you will be away from your home for any length of time, or when you are going to bed for the night.
- Make sure your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors have been tested and are functioning properly.
- Before using a fireplace, clean the chimney and check the damper to make sure it’s working the way it should.
- Keep combustible materials away from your furnace, fireplace, and holiday lights. This includes wrapped gifts and all holiday decorations.
Having a happy holiday should also mean having a safe one, so make sure you follow these tips and enjoy this special time of year. You should also make sure your homeowner’s insurance has been reviewed and updated to ensure that you have the coverage you need to protect your property and its contents.
Schumacher Insurance Group can work with you to review your policy, help you obtain homeowner’s insurance, or tell you more about how an independent insurance agency can help you with all your insurance needs. Contact us today to learn more!