Enjoy the Summer Safely: 5 Common Summer Health Problems
While summer time is a time for fun in the sun, family vacations, and outdoor recreation, you do want to make sure you pay attention to summer health safety tips to keep yourself and your family safe and happy no matter what you’re doing this summer. Here are five common health problems, accidents, and concerns that occur most frequently during the summer:
- Boating Accidents: Boating on a lake or river, or even on the open sea, can be very enjoyable, but make sure everyone on board pays attention to proper safety procedures during your boating trip.
- Lawn Mower Injuries: Surprisingly enough, injuries sustained while mowing the yard happen more often than you might think. Sometimes it’s from carelessness or inattentiveness to the task at hand, and other times the injuries can be caused by unstable terrain or malfunctioning mowing equipment.
- Sunburns: We don’t realize we are sunburned until after the fact, so if you plan to spend a lot of time outside this summer, use plenty of sunscreen until you’ve developed a good base tan.
- Dehydration: The effects of dehydration are sometimes like sunburns; they sneak up on you and you’re not aware of it until after you are already suffering. Make sure you drink plenty of fluids, preferably those without sugar and which are not carbonated (avoid soft drinks).
- Food Poisoning: Summer is a time for backyard barbecues, lakeside picnics, and other fun outings where food is served. When preparing for your summer meals, make sure you cook all foods properly and be wary of spoilage for items that need to be kept on ice.