New to Your Motorcycle: Here are 5 Tips for Beginner Riders
You’ve always wanted a motorcycle and now that dream has finally become a reality. While you’ve ridden with friends, this is the first time you’ve ever had your own bike and want to make sure you do everything right. These tips for motorcycle riders are great ways to ensure both your personal and financial safety.
- Begin with a “starter” bike. Though you may be tempted now after all these years to get that bike you’ve always longed for, it’s important to remember this is a completely new experience and accidents do happen. You WILL end up dropping your bike no matter how careful you are.
- While riding alone can be a great adventure, riding with other more experienced riders can both be a fun social activity as well as a super way for you to sharpened your skills through their advice and suggestions.
- Sign up for a professional riding course. The Motorcycle Safety Foundation offers a course that once passed, some states will accept in lieu of their own testing for your motorcycle endorsement. Plus, many insurers will offer a discount upon successful completion of this course.
- No matter what your state laws are, please always wear a helmet. Including boots, gloves and a good jacket are also a smart idea. If you have room, stash rain gear as well. You never know what you’re going to run into and need to be prepared.
- Finally, one of the best tips for motorcycle riders is to always make sure you become properly licensed and have all the necessary insurance. As mentioned before, accidents do happen and you need to be prepared.