5 Cheap Car Insurance Ideas for College Students
College students are typically eager to cut costs while they’re studying, and car insurance can be a significant expense for young people who are taking out their own policy for the first time. There are many different car insurance discounts that college students can take advantage of, and being aware of these discounts is important for those who are looking to pay the lowest possible premiums.
The following are five possible discounts on car insurance for college students:
- Good student discounts- Most insurance companies offer discounts for college students who maintain good grades. This discount could be as much as 10 percent and is typically applicable on policies until a student turns 25.
- Safe driving record- Your driving record is obviously a huge factor that insurance companies take into account when calculating the cost of your policy. If you have a flawless driving record, you could pay up to 45 percent less for car insurance.
- Taking anti-theft precautions- Investing in an anti-theft device could do more than just keep your vehicle safe from thieves. It could also qualify you for a car insurance discount.
- Take a class in defensive driving- If you complete a defensive driving course, you could enjoy a reduction in premium costs of up to 10 percent.
- Have your parents add your to their policy- While young students who are eager for independence might not like this option, they’ll probably have much lower car insurance expenses on their parents’ policies. Usually, insurance providers will allow college students to stay on their parents policy until they permanently move away from home.
If you have questions on car insurance for college students, contact us at Schumacher Insurance Agency.