How to Make a Tornado Safety Plan for Your Home
Tornadoes are a fact of life in many different parts of the country. If you live in one of them, you may not be able to avoid a tornado in every case, especially when there is little warning. However, that doesn’t mean that you have to be unsafe or that your home needs to be in great danger. If you live in a tornado prone area, use this guide to learn how to make a tornado safety plan for your home and family. Your family and house will be better protected with just a little bit of planning.
- Make a diagram of your home that shows all of the exits. Everyone should memorize routes out of the home, including backup plans like first floor windows.
- Purchase a NOAA weather radio and use it get warnings in case of a potential tornado. Always keep backup batteries for your NOAA weather radio available.
- Try to set up your basement for a tornado. That should include a weather radio, food and water for several days, and a source of light that can be used in case the power goes out.
- Move to an interior hallway if underground space is not available. Avoid rooms with windows or excess glass.
- Have tornado drills on a regularly basis. This is something you should do monthly, especially if you have small children that need to learn about tornado safety.
Contact Schumacher Insurance Agency for more tips on how to make a tornado safety plan for your home.