Heading to See Family This Holiday Season? Here are 5 Tips for Long Winter Road Trips
Traveling to see family during the holiday season can be a lot of fun, but traveling during the winter season can be dangerous. Mother Nature does not put winter weather on hold, even when you are behind the wheel of your vehicle. Here are several tips for long winter road trips to keep you safe when traveling during the holidays.
- Check the weather before leaving for your road trip. If the weather shows severe weather, consider changing your route or postponing your trip altogether. It is always better to be safe than sorry.
- You do not want to go on the road with an automobile that cannot handle the weather, so be sure to have it inspected before the trip to ensure it is in peak operating condition.
- All tips for long winter road trips are important, but we cannot stress this one enough: drive slowly. Accelerating, stopping and turning takes longer when the road is covered in snow, plus the ground is too slippery to complete these maneuvers at a faster speed.
- When on snow-covered roads, accelerate and decelerate slowly. Speeding up on icy roads can cause skidding and a possible accident. Whether you are applying the gas or coming to a stoplight, be mindful of the weather and take it slow.
- Prepare for the winter weather by packing all the necessities in a bag and keeping it on the floor of your vehicle for easy access. This includes a cellular phone, blankets, gloves, hat, water, food, medication and your local AAA’s telephone number.
Schumacher Insurance is an insurance company that is always there for you, and we put your well-being above all. To learn more about our company, or to find more tips for long winter road trips, contact us and we will respond in a timely manner.