5 Tips for Getting the Best Homeowner’s Insurance
Homeowner’s insurance is something that everybody who has a house needs. In fact, if you don’t get it yourself, most mortgage lenders will force a homeowner’s policy onto your bill, often at a much higher rate than you could get on your own. While shopping for a homeowner’s insurance policy isn’t going to be the most fun you’ve ever had, it is something you must do. Use these five tips for getting the best homeowner’s insurance policy for your home and family.
- Get a recommendation from a friend or family member who owns a house. While you will still need to do your own research, getting the name of a potentially viable company from a friend or family member that already has a policy can be a good start. Chances are they shopped around too.
- Make sure you’re covered against accidents and natural disasters in your area. For example, not having earthquake coverage in California or tornado coverage in Oklahoma is a great big gaping hole in your policy. Make sure you’re insured for all the possibilities.
- Get flood coverage all of the time. Even if you live in a dry climate, flood coverage can help you pay for the damage your home incurs from natural disasters and manmade ones if you get the right policy.
- Have an inventory of personal belongings. Make sure you know the appropriate value for replacing those items too so you don’t have to go out of pocket.
- Consider working with a company you already have a policy with. In some cases, you might be able to get a discounted homeowner’s insurance policy from the same person who handles your health or car insurance – if they sell it.
Contact us for more information and tips for getting the best homeowner’s insurance.