5 Tips for Preparing Your Motorcycle for the Winter
The winter season is upon us, and this means motorcycle owners will be putting their bikes away for the season. There is more to putting your motorcycle away than just placing it in your garage. The following tips for preparing your motorcycle for the winter are essential for prolonging the longevity of your bike.
- Change The Oil: Once you take your last ride for the season, change your oil so it is ready to go by the time spring rolls around. Now keep in mind that every motorcycle is different, so you will need to look through the owner’s manual for specific details.
- Wash Your Motorcycle: Tips for preparing your motorcycle for the winter includes cleaning, so the finish is not ruined over the season. Be sure to wash it using soap, water, sponge, hose and bucket.
- Fill Your Gas Tank: Leaving the gas tank half-empty and the gasoline untreated causes gunk and varnish to form, creating major issues for your motorcycle in the long run. You want to fill 3/4 of the tank with gasoline, follow the directions to add in a gas-stabilizing chemical and let the motorcycle run for five minutes.
- Move the Motorcycle to Your Storage Location: You want to keep your motorcycle in a warm, dry location, such as the shed or garage. Turn off the motorcycle so the engine and mufflers can cool down.
- Cover the Mufflers: Use motorcycle exhaust plug or plastic bags with rubber bands to cover your mufflers. This prevents unwanted critters from building a next in your mufflers.
Schumacher Insurance Agency offers several packages, as well as a friendly staff who is ready to educate clients on insurance.
If you need insurance or additional tips for preparing your motorcycle for the winter, contact us and we will be happy to help.