Make Your Home Child Friendly With These 5 Tips
If you have any young children, then you know that your main job is to keep them safe and healthy. One of the ways to ensure their safety is by making sure that you make your home child friendly. The following are 5 ways that you can make your home child friendly:
- Lower the hot water temperature – There’s no reason for your water heater to be set at higher than 120 degrees Fahrenheit. If it is, there’s a chance that your child could accidentally be scalded while taking a bath.
- Install window guards – Over 4,000 kids end up in the emergency room every year because they fell out of a window. Install window guards to prevent this from occurring. You can also use window stops, which will prevent the window from opening more than 4 inches.
- Test for radon and lead paint – To make sure the home environment is healthy, make sure that there isn’t a high level of radon in your home. High levels of radon are believed to be the leading cause of lung cancer in those who don’t smoke. You should also check your paint for lead if your home was built before 1978 – especially if you are planning a renovation.
- Lock up poisonous products – Products such as cleaners, perfume, mouthwash and even vitamins should be locked up out of reach of your children. Over a million children are poisoned by ingesting some of these common household products every year.
- Ensure fire safety – Make sure there’s a fire extinguisher in the kitchen and that you have several smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors set up throughout your home.
Use these tips to make your home child friendly and be sure to contact us at Schumacher Insurance for all your insurance needs.