Save Money on Your Homeowner Policy With These 5 Steps
Homeowner’s insurance is something that you know you have to have. In fact, if you don’t get it on your own, chances are your mortgage lender will provide you with a forced policy that costs more money and doesn’t provide as much coverage just to protect their investment. While it can seem expensive, there are some things you can do to reduce your rates, and saving money on your homeowner policy isn’t an impossibility. Use these five tips from Schumacher Insurance Agency to learn more about saving money on your homeowner policy this year.
- Buy multiple policies from the same insurer. For example, some companies offer auto insurance, life insurance and homeowner’s insurance. If you buy more than one policy they may give you a discount for doing so.
- Shop around when it’s time to find a new homeowner’s insurance policy. There’s nothing wrong with checking your rates at three or four different companies in your area. Just make sure you get the policy and coverage you want and need for your home.
- Make your home more secure. A home with an alarm system and other safety features like overhead sprinkles is better protected, and that can mean lower homeowner’s insurance rates for you. If you make upgrades, let your insurer know and you might be able to negotiate a lower rate.
- Consider raising your deductible. You’ll have to pay more out of pocket if something goes wrong, but if you live in a low-risk area and have a decent income it could be reasonable.
- Don’t insure land your house is on. Believe it or not, insuring both land value and home value is a common mistake that can result in high premiums.
Contact Schumacher Insurance Agency to learn more about saving money on your homeowner policy.