Keep These 5 Things in Mind Before You Rent a Car on Vacation
The ocean is calling your name, beckoning you to plunge into its salt water and achieve that once or twice a year condition known as vacation bliss. Before you rent a car to take you to the shore, keep a few things in mind.
- Before you begin the process of renting a car on vacation, contact your insurance company. Usually whatever coverage you have for your personal vehicle will cover the one you rent, as long as you are not using the rental car to conduct business.
- Find out if your insurance company covers the cost for towing charges, loss of use, and administrative fees.
- Place a call to your credit card company, and find out the type of coverage they will provide. If you are using them as your sole provider ask them to provide you with coverage information in writing. The insurance they provide is usually secondary to the coverage you receive you get from your personal insurance and the coverage provided by the car rental company.
- It pays to get the best coverage possible. Be sure your rental vehicle is covered by liability insurance. If possible get personal accident insurance to cover medical bills and personal effects coverage to insure the items inside the car if they get stolen.
- If you opt for the newer peer-to-peer car renting or car sharing companies when renting a car on vacation keep a few things in mind. While car sharing services do have coverage built into the fees, there is an accident fee you will have to pay if you are involved in an accident.You can waive this cost by paying an additional fee. If using a peer-to-peer car service, get the additional coverage that they offer.
Looking for insurance? Contact Schumacher Insurance Agency today to receive insurance with integrity.